The pose of the month for December is: Seated Meditation. Even for many practiced yogis, sitting silently in meditation can be overwhelming, intimidating, and… well, just plain hard! We are so used to doing in order to achieve the goals we want for ourselves that “just sitting” can seem counter productive and, quite frankly, a waste of time. On the contrary, the benefits of a regular meditation practice are sung far and wide by not only yogis, but doctors, psychologists, and scientists as well. Studies show that as little as five minutes of meditation a day can lead to physical and chemical changes in the brain associated with relaxation and positive mood.
During the month of December, your YogaSport instructors will guide you into some helpful exercises to get you started and then allow a few minutes of space for you to get your meditation on. With a little practice, you’ll be totally zen just in time for the holidays!
• Calms and focuses the mind
• Slows emotional reactivity
• Creates clarity and awakens intuition
• Develops a mind-body connection
KEY ALIGNMENT POINTS:
• Seated and alert
• Spine straight and tall
• Heart open and receptive
• Internal focus and gaze
STEP BY STEP (one of many variations):
1. Set a timer for your desired length of uninterrupted meditation.
2. Take a comfortable seated posture that is both alert and receptive.
3. Bring your hands to your heart or another mudra of your choice.
4. Close down your eyes and turn your gaze to your third eye center.
5. Become aware of each inhale and exhale. Release all other thoughts.
6. Notice thoughts as they arise, but let them go without judgment.
7. Stay. Trust your timer.
You will experience Seated Meditation in every Power Flow class this month.